Friday, July 29, 2016

mighty millet

I just have to share my newest gluten-free addiction with you.
It all started when a packet of millet flakes caught my eye atSantos Warehouse in Byron Bay.
I’ve always been a millet whole grain fan… I love their sweet, nutty flavour, and their unique texture that is ideal for making fragrant pilafs and sweet creamy porridge. But somehow I’d never investigated the rolled version of millet. So I grabbed a kilo, and before I knew it millet flakes were going into everything!
Tossed in casseroles or soups, rolled millet will thicken the broth and infuse extra vitamins (magnesium, manganese, niacin), fibre, protein and complex carbs. If I need a super-fast porridge or something gluten-free to bulk up a granola or bircher muesli mix, millet flakes work beautifully. They are also fantastic added to a bread mix if you make your own. But my all-time favourite discovery is the texture millet flakes add to sweet baked goods like muffins and biscuits: tossing an extra 1/2 cup in with a standard recipe will create a completely different textural experience… one that is quite addictive I must warn you.
Now that millet flakes have joined the staple members of my pantry, they’re showing up in all sorts of dishes. But my current fancy — a weekly baking event — is these dark chocolate-millet biscuits. To avoid eating them so fast I tried storing the lot in my freezer, but alas, they are still really tasty frozen!
If you’re looking for more ways to experiment with gluten free ingredients like millet flakes, you really should try the recipe. And for those who are suspicious of ‘healthy’ sweets, it’s honestly hard to tell the difference.

Dark chocolate – millet biscuits

1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup millet flakes (rolled millet)
½ cup quinoa or amaranth flour
1 cup organic coconut palm sugar (dark)
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon guar gum
½ cup chopped almonds and pepitas or macadamias
50g quality dark chocolate (70-85%) cut in tiny chunks
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
½ – ¾ cup soy milk
Preheat oven to 185 C.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, flakes, sugar, salt, baking powder and guar gum. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and milk.
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet, just until combined. Fold in the nuts/seeds and chocolate pieces. Leave to sit for a couple minutes to thicken.
On two baking trays (preferably lined with baking paper), pour about 1 tablespoon portions of batter to form round biscuits (if it’s a bit wet that’s ok, long as they are NOT runny). Bake in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until they are lightly brown on top and firm to touch. Cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes before eating.
Makes 28 – 32 biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment